Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
(for best results, powder the quinoa seed before cooking)
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp flax egg*
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup maple syrup or molasses
3-5 mejdool dates, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
(add according to level of sweetness)
¾ cup almond butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup mini chocolate chips
*To prepare the flax egg, soak two tablespoons of ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Mix and let it sit in the refrigerator for 5 minutes to set.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line your baking tray with butter paper or grease your pan with a tablespoon of coconut oil
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, cocoa powder and flax egg. Mix and then add the coconut oil, maple syrup and almond butter.
- In a separate bowl, mash the dates till it forms a smooth paste. Add vanilla extract and sea salt.
- Add the mashed dates to the brownie batter. Add in the chocolate chips and fold.
- Add batter to your tray and allow it to take for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick can be removed clearly.